Thursday, June 19, 2008

The neutrality of this article is disputed.

So explain this to me – apparently back in the early 21st century most people wrote encyclopedia entries for fun. Like you’d say, “Hey Mark, want to forage for ammunition (or whatever they did for fun).” And Mark would say, “Sorry, but you know I’m still writing that encyclopedia.” And you’d say, “But Mark, I know you. You’re dumb,” or something like that.

I mean, even back when Noah Webster was sitting around in his primitive dwelling writing a dictionary people made fun of him. Of course, now he’s like, “I givez U spelchek.”

Anyway, I was looking for lolzombie pictures in The Electronic Brain today and ended up learning about wikis and wikipedia. Wikis were portions of the global Electronic Brain which anyone could add information to. Also anyone could change the information you’ve added. But you could also see who changed your information and change it back. Excellence through constant surveillance.

Godo asked me if I thought we could use wikis here. I said that we could use it to keep track of problem patrons: the questions they tend to ask, their methods of attack, any weaknesses they might have. He grinned and said The Friend of the Library might not approve of that.

edit: I found an ancient wiki and played around with it. They are easy to use.

No comments: